Friday, December 11, 2009

Thanks to you...it worked!

Many years ago, I helped picked all-this and all-that teams.

That was back in the 1980s when I worked at a newspaper in Texas. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus and I am that old, even though I obviously don’t look like it.

For the most part, it was an easy decision. When I decided to do an All-County football team for the Journal, I knew it would not be as easy.

First, because it is a little closer to home. I live here, know a bunch of the kids and coaches. I wondered how the players, coaches, fans and especially parents would react if their favorite player was not selected.

So I knew that there would be some upset people. For anybody upset, I apologize and know how it feels. But I can honestly say (or write) that I did my best and tried to be fair and impartial on all the selections.

I also hope you like the team. I did a lot of work, helped by a lot of people. Instead of strictly replying on coaches, I also opened up the nominations to our readers and we received some good input.

There were also letters sent out to the head coaches at all eight schools playing football. We received nominations from coaches at five of the schools and I want to thank the coaches for taking the time to fill out the ballots, along with the fans who sent in nominations.

The team would not have been possible without your help. I am pleased with the selections, just wish we had gotten information from all the county schools.

To all the players and the coach selected, congratulations. I really enjoyed covering the games this year and getting to watch and meet many of you. During the season, I traveled to Spiro (twice), Talihina (three times), Heavener, Poteau (three times), Sallisaw and even to Hennessey to watch our county players play.

The coaches and players were great, as were the fans and readers. I look forward to next year and the All-County teams in all the other sports. Again, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Must have been quite a task to put together an all-county team. I used to be involved in naming an all-East Texas team, so I know a little about what you went through to get nominations, send out letters to all the coaches, etc. Congrats on the first all-county team in LeFlore County history. Well done!

    ReplyDelete