Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oops

Contrary to what it might seem, I do try to be perfect when writing stories, headlines and captions in the LeFlore County Journal.

Honest, I do. Nobody is perfect, I’m sure not. But I still don’t like it. I don’t know why I make mistakes, probably because I get in a hurry.

And when I goof up, it’s usually pretty obvious.

Consider the following:

1. I got notice about a group called Sounds of Hope coming to the Hodgen United Methodist Church. I published this under church news. No problem, right? Uh, not so fast. On the flier, it says they are a gospel expression of praise and worship. But when I typed up the story, it said they are a gospel expression of praise and WORRY. Ugh. I’m sure that would bring in a lot of people. Luckily, alert reader Margaret Scoggins caught this and it was fixed fairly quickly.

2. I did a story about the humane society golf tournament a couple of weeks ago. Not too hard, right? Wrong. I put in that it was the HUMANA society golf tournament. Humana? I used to work for them, but last time I checked, they did not take care of lost or injured dogs and cats. Alert reader Ralph Perdue Jr., gets credit for this correction.

3. This one almost caused me to laugh, if I didn’t cringe after alert reader, Barbara Hall (my mother) pointed out an oops to me. It was a simple headline about the annual Bigfoot Festival in Honobia. Turns out, my typing turned it into BIGFOOD Festival at Honobia. I guess if somebody was going to eat a Bigfoot, it would be bigfood.

I do use spell check. Honest. Usually, there will be the nasty red line under the misspelled word telling me I am an idiot for spelling the word wrong. But on these goofs, they were tragically spelled right, just not spelled the way I intended them to be.

Now if they could only come up with a Craig check instead of just spell check, I would do much better. Hopefully Jay Leno never checks out the Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment